Blogmas Day 17 - Dining Out

Me and Paul decided to treat ourselves to a nice romantic meal out, before the crazy work hours started for Christmas week! We barely see each other in the couple of weeks leading up to Christmas, but I suppose its all worth it by the time Christmas gets around and it makes you appreciate the time you do get to spend with each other more. That's why it was important to us that we went out for a nice meal together, we often go out for lunch but we don't go out for an evening meal that often and its just nice to do that every now and then.

We ended up going to healing manor's restaurant called the pig & whistle. This place is literally round the corner from us, but we've never been. We both ended up having three courses, not that we intended to. But the food was just so delicious that we only wanted more.

For starters we both went for the same thing, the Scotch egg. It came with fruity brown sauce, crispy bacon and tomatoes. It was so yummy, the egg was still runny which is what I was hoping for and that fruity brown sauce just made the dish taste even better. We both thought it was just the right size for a starter, not too big that it filled you up and not too small so you still felt very hungry.

For the mains we both went for something different. Paul played it quite safe like he usually does and ordered the beer battered fish and chips. He doesn't go too far out of his comfort zone with food. But if you know your going to like something then of course why not order it! I on the other hand found it very hard to choose, as there was so many tasty sounding dishes. There was three dishes I was struggling to choose between, which was the confit duck leg, pheasant breast and lamb shoulder. I ended up deciding to go with the Pheasant breast. This came with a mini venison cottage pie and Cavolo Nero. Oh my god! The pheasant was amazing, there was some sort of gravy on my plate that tasted great and the mash was soooo creamy. I wasn't so keen on the mini venison cottage pie though. The pheasant was so rich and flavoursome and the cottage pie tasted just like a normal one would, it was just like comfort food. I decided not to bother eating that part of my meal and just finish the rest of the very tasty food. Even my vegetables got eaten and I hardly ever eat vegetables, but they had that lovely gravy on and I just couldn't resist.

After we had let our food settle for a while and had a couple of drinks. Well Paul was driving so he was on J20's, but I was enjoying a few Gin and Tonics while the food settled. It was finally time to decide on what pudding we were having. Paul went for the Apple, nutmeg and plum crumble that came with vanilla ice cream and I went with Dark Chocolate Delice, which came with honeycomb and coffee ice cream. My dessert was literally like the middle of a dark chocolate truffle, which some may find very sickly. I did not! I freaking loved it, I'm a massive fan of dark chocolate, to be honest I'm a massive fan of any kind of chocolate! I also thoroughly enjoyed the coffee ice cream too, I like coffee but sometimes coffee flavoured things just don't taste that nice. But this tasted like an iced espresso and it had dark chocolate chips in it too. I made sure I finished all of dessert, none of that was getting left behind.

This was one of the nicest meals we've had in a while and we still couldn't believe we'd never been there, especially with it being so close to our house. We will definitely be going back there for a meal. Well I need to try the duck leg and the lamb shank, so I at least need to go there two more times!  

Do you always play it safe when you order food, or do you try something different every now and then?

ReRe

Follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Bloglovin to keep up to date with all the Blogmas posts.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Follow Me