Afternoon tea isn't just about finger sandwich's and scones

Afternoon tea has to be one of my favourite things to eat. I enjoy food a lot, so being able to eat lots of little dishes is my perfect kind of meal! I also have a massive sweet tooth, so again being able to eat lots of little desserts is my idea of heaven. 

It was my mums birthday at the end of last month, me and my sister took her out for afternoon tea. We took her to one of her favourite restaurants in Cleethorpes, called Figs. Afternoon tea is something that we all enjoy, so it was really nice to be able to do something together that we all love. This afternoon tea was far from your traditional finger sandwich's and scones. It was lots of miniature hearty favourites.

To start with we enjoyed a glass of Prosecco while we waited for the savoury part of afternoon tea to arrive.

The savoury section included....
  • Greek salad
  • Ham and cheese quiche
  • Chicken Kiev
  • Toad in the hole
  • Smoked BBQ burger with onion rings
  • Fish and chips

All of these of course were miniature versions. Everything was presented amazingly and the food tasted just as good as it looked. There was only one dish I wasn't overly keen on and that was the quiche, I felt that this lacked flavour and was just a bit of a filler dish. The chicken Kiev was so tasty, it was very garlicky which I assumed it would be so I left it till near the end so the taste didn't over power my mouth and the rest of the dishes. The next three were by far my favourite! The burger was in a brioche bun with cheese and a BBQ sauce. I think I could have eaten all three of those it was delicious. The toad in the hole had super creamy mash and lots of gravy was sat in the bottom of the Yorkshire pudding. The fish and chips portion was small, but just right. The fish was lightly battered and melted in your mouth. The chips were chunky and crispy on the outside, but fluffy on the inside. Which is just how I like them. Lastly is the Greek salad. Now this may seem boring to some in comparison to the other dishes. But its the perfect dish to end on. Its refreshing and a bit of a palette cleanser, perfect after the chicken Kiev. Plus I love feta cheese so that's another reason I loved the salad so much too.

After we had demolished the savoury part, we enjoyed a pot of tea and we let the food settle down while we waited for the sweet section to arrive.

The sweet selection included....

  • Creme brulee with a sugar spoon
  • Cookies and Cream cheesecake with peanut brittle
  • Scone with jam and cream

Having a major sweet tooth I was looking forward to this part the most. Everything was presented so beautifully again, but to be honest I was a little let down by the sweet section. The creme brulee was very thick, it wasn't creamy and light like it should have been. I think they also tried too hard to make this dessert look good. The sugar spoon just didn't work. It was far too sticky to pick up and I didn't enjoy crunching down on a massive piece of sugar. I much prefer the light layer of sugar on top that you have to crack through with a normal spoon. The cookies and cream cheesecake tasted just of cream. There was no other flavour than that really. The peanut brittle was lovely though. I also cant complain about the scone either. I mean you cant really go wrong with some jam and cream on a scone. But all three of these desserts were creamy and it was a bit too much. It needed something else, maybe a lemon dessert to cut through the creaminess or chocolate kick would have been great too. 

Even though I didn't enjoy the desserts as much as I was hoping I would, I would still go back there for the afternoon tea. You might think I'm crazy after I bashed most of the desserts. But I think its completely worth it just for the savoury section. The savoury section was extremely filling and well worth the money in my opinion.

Do you enjoy afternoon tea?

ReRe

Follow me on Instagram, Twitter and Bloglovin

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Follow Me